View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Ms.TimmyV

With the exception of the people of this thread, and plenty others I'm sure, but a LOT of people have a really tough time letting go of toxic, one-sided relationships. Even myself, it took me a long, long time for me to get it, that I was the only one trying, I was the only one trying to seek out a "normal relationship", and the people of the receiving end couldn't give two poops less. Consider yourself fortunate because there are some out there that are going through agony everyday at the hand of people who hurt them, but they don't know how to let go. It's truly a gift to know when to stop.

ETA: I was just reading through the comments and there is a common theme: the belief we did something wrong to deserve all the bull we had to go through. I carried two children, and that's when I realized I did nothing to deserve any of that. I could never treat my children the way I was treated, and that really helped. I believe in myself more and more every day, and if I was still in contact with my family that would never have happened. I don't know about you, but my family has a unique ability to strip any shred of self-esteem or confidence that I could muster. I'm glad it's getting better. It might sound weird, but I feel like I'm finally growing up at the age of 35.