View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Saint Francis View Post
It's been 6 weeks now since I started, or think I started, AVRT. It really didn't come on as a "bang" but more as a "whimper." Just decided to quit. The lack of fanfare made it easier with less pressure or feelings of failure.

To my delight, I can still do things that I love, like playing bar trivia, with very little temptation with the added benefit of no fear of driving home. I was afraid that giving up alcohol meant giving up so many other things. So glad there was an alternative to AA.

Not 100% convinced that NEVER drinking again is for me. It's probably my AV. My experience is that when something is forbidden, it causes even more wanting. For me, not advocating it, an occasional preplanned "chocolate covered pretzel" or glass of wine is not failing. Just like allowing myself a pack of cigarettes once a year has stopped me from picking up the habit. Rarely, I may indulge, but most the time I'm not interested anyway. A DQ Blizzard (my substitute) beats them all and tastes way better.
Good to hear you're enjoying life even after giving up alcohol. You'll find AVRT really comes into it's own when having a Big Plan in place. Without a Big Plan, you're not getting the real deal. Of course, your totally right about having doubts with future drinking is your Addictive Voice talking to you...

For me, wanting what is forbidden is easily solved by letting go of the want itself. Keeping the want of course makes the forbidden all the more attractive. Kinda like driving. We tend to steer our car where we hold our vision, is my experience.

I know you're not advocating drinking, just wanted you to know AVRT without a Big Plan in place is, in fact, not AVRT.