Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Can I say something now-in my own defense perhaps? That is before this thread is closed because of all the rather unexpected and vigorous debate? I am very much acquainted with the elephant story. See the post by Freshstart 57. The story is one of my favorites. And all my life I have been quite aware that I was only holding on to an ear and that there were others who may well be able to describe the elephant more accurately than I. I never laid claim to the assertion that one must have a higher power to recover. I only said that it seemed to be necessary for me to do so. When I said that others might choose to "experiment" for themselves, I merely meant that the options are open to anyone to do what they consider helpful, to grasp whatever part of the elephant they considered appropriate. But I did add something which I very much doubt anyone on this SR website would quarrel with. That is that the road to recovery from alcoholism is fraught with risk, Not everyone makes it. This thing can kill you, kill others, disrupt families, jobs, take everything you have and hold dear. You can hold on to any part of the elephant you choose. But you can also be trampled underfoot. This elephant is not really your friend.

W.