View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ozarkcowboy

Well,I too work with pt.s and have done so quite hung-over for many years knowing I'd clear up after a couple hours and lot of coffee to help mask my breath. I'm hardly bragging about it,and really am ashamed but it is what it is/was.
Started drinking and a lot of other stuff at the wise age of 15.Trying to fit in and so on.Man I was the smartest 15yr old there ever was,had a tougher life than anyone and really knew what I was doing.Ha!!! After a couple co-workers said they could smell ETOH on me I started to refrain from drinking the night before I was schd. to work the unit. Working with a pt. with ETOH related issues,knowing that I had my own was kind of hypocritical huh? If I didn't see so many of the negative effects of such use, I'm sure I would have been slower to realize I HAVE TO STOP(not to mention all the other little things like losing my license both to drive and practice,my family,and my sanity).
Fear is a major motivator. I feel so much better mentally and physically.REALLY am better at work.Health care workers have a very high rate of substance abuse,don't really know why,stress I guess,do you think that could be it?Whatever,enough about my problem(s).

Just wanted to let you know you CAN do this.Admiting to yourself that there is a problem is the start of a journey to a new life.You know it won't be easy,life isn't always going to be butterflies and unicorns(love that one)but will be so much better in the long run that all the difficulties will be worth it.

Many ways to do this but YOU wanting to do it is the key.Don't get down on yourself,stay hydrated and it sounds like your nutrition is not a problem if you keep at it.

Yes,come to this forum often.Has helped and continues to help me daily.Great people on here and tons of info/resources.

So glad you posted and my thoughts and prayers will be with you!!!

OC

p.s. wish you would pick a short nickname... or will INAN work? ;-)