View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
LoveMeNow
Getting there!!

I had a friend who I grew up and we became close in high school. He had very wealthy parents. His norm was European vacations, summer homes, private schools, Porsche's, boats, motorcycles, etc. That was all he knew so it wasn't that big of a deal to him. He was a sweet, handsome guy and very likable. After his father passed, he became a trust fund baby. (almost $100,000 a month)

He became addicted to cocaine and none of us knew. We all "partied" together but he was the one who couldn't stop. He was living the high life. Expensive vacations, trips to Vegas, 3 or 4 expensive cars at a time, gorgeous homes, etc.

Eventually, his brother and sister stepped in and forced him into rehab after rehab. His sister told me he could only stay clean for months at a time, a year and half being the longest. They were trying to cut off his trust fund money. One morning his girlfriend tried to wake him up and he was dead. He had a heart attack at 33 yrs old - from Cocaine.

All the money and toys did not bring him happiness or peace. The expensive rehabs did not save him from his addiction or himself. The last time I spoke to him, he was still putting on a good facade but I knew he was lost because I would speak to his sister from time to time. I haven't thought about him in a long time, how sad!!

ETA - I am not trying to scare you, MrsDragon! It's just a sad reality for many addicts whose addiction goes untreated or not taken seriously.