View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
FindingErica

Originally Posted by MrsDragon View Post
My son is an adult, he is 29. He owns his own home, has his own financial resources. I cannot stop him from going on vacation, finding women who will accompany him, or even prevent him from buying a car.
You have a very indulgent way of talking about your son. I still feel you enable him. No you cant stop him, but you make things easy for him. Watch his girlfriends dog so he can go snort coke on vacation with his companion. What I hear when I read your posts is that as long as things appear fine and he acts respectful, then it is OK to ignore the elephant in the room. It is just something I am percieving, I still hear alot of terminal uniqueness still.

I tend to come off harsh sometimes. The truth is up until a week ago, I still had many terminally unique beliefs about AH that I hadnt even realized. Also i went through a good year where I knew about his problem but I thought it wasnt that much of a problem because he was still working, paying bills, doing stuff around the house, being a husband (albeit a big jerk at times). Because I did not face and read about addiction, and didnt educate myself on some of the common behaviors of addicts; there are things I will have to live with for the rest of my life. Addicts are agents of destruction, even when they put on the civil mask.