View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Originally Posted by ShatteredHeart View Post
am i doing the right thing by making him stay elsewhere for the time being?
Let me share a couple of things with you in regard to having an active addict in the house.

My addicted daughter lived the first 3 years of her life with the insanity and chaos of my addictions. Her father who was/is a good man threw his hands up and divorced me (and understandably so).

Her stepfather, my EXAH, came into her life shortly after I was divorced, and she was exposed to the insanity of two adults in active addictions for five years.

Children are like sponges, regardless of the age. They absorb every negative emotion flying around in a dysfunctional household. I have watched this with both of my grandchildren from birth on, with their addicted mother.

My addict daughter is forever scarred by what I exposed her to, and now she has passed that on to her two children.

It took a long time to forgive myself, and what keeps me heading forward and not guilt-tripping myself over past parenting is the fact that she knows what recovery looks like. She grew up around the rooms and fellowship of AA/NA.

For now, she chooses not to embrace recovery.

You are the only voice those beautiful children have.

Stand strong, and I guarantee those children will come to realize which parent has provided a healthy and loving environment for them.