View Single Post
Old 11-02-2004, 01:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Cadence57
Barn Goddess

Originally Posted by Gracey
He has never hung out with anyone that has not been addicted to one thing or another......EVER......would that make a difference though?
Water seeks its own level.
All of my BEST friends in the world are ACoA's. It's not like one of us said, "Hey, I'm an adult child -- how about you? Wanna be friends?" I was friends with some of them for YEARS before the secret got out! Nope it's not like that at all. I think we all have some sort of built in radar that recognizes "something" familiar about other people and we "click" with them. Likewise, if you were to put me in a room full of non drinkers and ONE drunk - I'd go straight for the drunk (unknowingly, of course). It's not like I WANT the drama that comes with being involved with a drunk - it's just familiar and my radar picks up on it in a heartbeat.

What I'm saying here, I guess, is that once he starts to see himself as a recovering alcoholic, chances are, he'll gravitate towards other recovering alcoholics because he won't have that common bond with drinking buddies anymore -- but he WILL have it with his sober buddies.