View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
awuh1
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Subjecting AA to critical thinking sort of misses the point of AA. AA is a spiritual program of recovery, and the effective use of AA requires that the contradictions in AA be ignored and denied as a matter of faith.
It never ceases to amaze me how people who do not use AA seek to interpret it for others (even those who do!). Contrary to what was stated, there is nothing wrong with the discussion of any aspect of AA IMO. Keeping an open mind sure does help though.

The effective use of AA does NOT require “contradictions in AA be ignored and denied as a matter of faith”. This is absurd. A good case in point would be the OP himself who states
Originally Posted by Zube View Post
Let me begin by stating that AA saved my life. Still does.
Yet the OP brought up this topic. This OBVIOUS example from WITHIN THIS VERY THREAD was ignored.

There are lots of sayings that some people within AA have found helpful. They sometimes contradict other sayings that others have found to be helpful. No big deal. Often the phrases refer to much more complex ideas (that have condensed to these short phrases). In the end they are nothing more than often repeated sayings. They are not the AA program.