View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
walkingwithgod

[QUOTE=JohnnyOneDay;3620211]WWG (and to others with misconceptions about the AA clientele),

It's certainly your choice and I'm not trying to influence you, and I know that AA is not the only way, but just to clarify......

If your city/area is anything like mine, you'll run into all types of people at AA meetings, but they are NOT a bunch of BUMS! And no, people there are not looking to swarm over newcomers and put them on the spot and embarrass them. You don't have to say a word if you don't want to. If you are embarrassed or shy, I would suggest a Speaker meeting. In those meetings, they do not go around the room and talk. You can just go and watch/listen to a speaker share their journey. I'm a shy, introverted person too, but I feel right at home at AA.

Some of the people I've met at AA meetings are:
  • Police chief of a neighboring town
  • Executive VP of Marketing for a large Fortune 500 company
  • Elected Republican local county politician
  • The father of one of my daughter's high-school friends
  • A referree who works lots of local youth and high-school sports (baseball ump, football, etc.). He's a personal friend of mine.
  • Many many people with college degrees and white-collar jobs
Sure, I've met plenty of "blue collar" folks too.... lots of factory workers, a guy who's a tattoo artist, construction workers, farmers, truck drivers, etc. .... but these people are not bums. They are regular Joes, kind, compassionate people, who have a lot in common with me... they are addicted to the same alcohol that I am.

As I've stated before, there are all kinds of AA meetings out there (speaker, discussion, Big Book, open, closed, etc.) . Your local schedule should identify the different types. (I have been to 68 meetings in 72 days.) Speaker meetings might be best for shy newcomers.

Oh, and I don't consider myself a bum either. Not to toot any horns, but I have a BS degree from a Big Ten university, and an MBA from a smaller mid-major. I have worked in management/engineering jobs throughout my 25 year career, with large and small manufacturing and service companies. But I'm a regular Joe too, and I'll give that factory guy or girl a hug at the meeting, because he/she understands my addiction and has been there. It's hard to explain unless you go to meetings and allow the fellowship to help you in your sobriety. I strongly suggest you at least try a meeting or two.... you have nothing to lose.

Johnny[/QUOTE

Thanks Johnny, I want to go but I am scared. I live in a very wealthy area, and would likely see similar people. Sr may not be enough.