Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
MrsDragon

Location: Caucasian;West Coast; Husband sometimes breathes fire; hence his nickname Dragon & mine Mrs. Dragon
Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
Much like the addict, most codependents (me) must reach their bottom to WANT to change and seek help.

When the pain of staying outweighs the fear of leaving, is when most will remove themselves from the situation. But I can only imagine how difficult it is for someone in recovery to watch the sickness continue. It must be like watching some one run into a burning building and there is nothing they can do but yell STOP!! Much like dealing with some one in active addiction.

It's really a vicious, insane cycle!!
I would never assume that all the people who make choices to live, or interact with an addict are suffering from codependency and need recovery (from their low self-esteem, attaching their self-worth to the addict, playing hero, playing victim, obsessive acts); there are many reasons why people stay in these relationships. In fact some people may be so strong in their self that they can handle the interactions, create boundaries that allow for peaceful coexistence, and even find personal satisfaction. And remember, for some addiction comes out of the blue after years of sobriety; it may take time to determine what the future holds for the person suffering the addiction, and it may take time for the partner to re-envision their life before they take action.