View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
lightseeker

I second all that English Garden said and all of the echoes from her post. I didn't let go and I got dragged....terribly. Horribly. I wish that I had had the strength/awareness to insist on separate residences while my now ex attempted to get into recovery. Instead, my home was his 1/2 way house. Yes...he was temporarily sober but not in "recovery". A lot of really bad stuff happened and I was treated in ways that it is taking me a good while to recover from.

Nothing wrong in stepping back and seeing what he is willing to do for himself. It's hard not to behave in a co-dependent way when you are smack in the midst of it. I worked a solid Alanon program and still struggled terribly.

In hind sight....what I wish I had done was to get deeply involved in my own recovery program, get a sponsor and work the steps with her. I should have maintained separate housing and stood firm to my boundaries. I would not want to have any sort of emotional or physical involvement with someone that did not have significant clean or recovery time (at least 1 year). No one says you have to stop caring and loving him - but maybe just do it from afar.