Thread: Thanks
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
James6

The game plan is to see what life is like as someone who doesn't identify as a drinker. I quit drinking for 30 because my therapist thought it would help with the anxiety in my life that ramped up to ten this year (new baby, more responsibility at work, buying a house, and the basic midlife crisis that comes when you realize you're much closer to fifty than twenty). I came to SR because I wanted to be honest with myself and explore the possibility that alcohol has become something out of my power.

I think I'm ok. I've made it through a bunch of tests this month- a wedding, a handful of dinners with wine, and weekly band practices. That said, I told my wife tonight that I was going to do ten more days. There is something about forty days.

I hope I'm at the point where I can jump back on the wagon if I don't feel comfortable. While I was almost never getting drunk with a capital D, I was certainly drinking one or two more than I'd want my daughter seeing as a model as she grows up.

I genuinely appreciate the concern and I know you guys are here if I realize my optimism is actually my AV deluding me by whispering in my ear that I'm not an alcoholic.

I really meant that thank you before. You guys pushed my thinking about drinking, addiction, and sobriety. Before coming to SR I would never have considered sobriety. I now consider it a real option if I don't like how I'm living.

James