View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
blackfrancis

UPDATE:

Well, a little over two weeks have passed. The initial shock of being arrested, the impending process of obtaining a lawyer, studying state law and its consequences, the possibility of job loss, the stress involved with this whole legal process on myself and family is just incredible. All because of A _ _ _ _ _ L.

I ended up with a pretty darn good attorney because my High OVI/DUI was reduced to a Physical Control charge and the other speeding/seat belt violations were thrown out. I went to a 3 day driving/alcohol class a week after being arrested and before the court ordered me to go. Went to an alcohol assessment by a state counselor as well and all of this before court. Now I have a small fine and driving restrictions until March and have to do 72 hours of community service. Actually excited about the community service as I was planning on volunteering more and the places I had been looking at in doing the volunteering are also recommended and certified by the state for its community service time. The job is still on the line however as I'm not sure exactly it will all play out.

The 3 day course was 72 hours in a hotel and you could not leave the premises. The program was absolutely wonderful and I gained a ton of knowledge. Speakers came by and told stories, some shocking and I could've EASILY been the one that had caused the same scenarios that were being spoken about. I honestly had no idea about the severity of the state laws regarding DUI's and alcohol. If you aren't sure about your states laws, I strongly encourage you to find them and learn. Those alone should be a deterrent.

I also was quite alarmed at how all of these DUI cases are a money maker for the states. It seems like the courts are more interested in how many cases they run through the system then actually helping those that were arrested. A good attorney that knows the local system and has a good relationship with judges and prosecutors is essential to getting anything reduced!

Another speaker in the driving/alcohol school told his story. I'll keep it brief but he was and still is a prosecutor who is an alcoholic. His story was my story TO A TEE:

* sleeping with a pizza in the oven
* drinking until blackouts
* hiding booze

etc, etc, etc......

I'm sure its a story that most of you know very well but when you hear it from someone in his position, it makes you very aware that alcoholism can be beat and that you can move on. Thanks to everyone for the support and I hope to read what others think about what I've written about...

Blackfrancis