View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Shutterbug1

After Rehab....Advice Please

Hello,

My recovering alcoholic boyfriend is coming home from rehab on Tuesday (we live together). He has been there for a month and a week. His funding ran out and there are also no available spaces so they are sending him home. I spoke with him and his counselor on the phone today. His counselor feels that he is really strong and will do well. My BF also feels that way. He says he is a changed man and things will be different, i will see that over time. This all sounds good and hopeful BUT I am nervous! I don't know how to handle myself when he gets here. I am worried again, and that’s what i am tired of, the WORRYING ALL THE TIME. The alarms and surprises I have come to know very well. I ultimately want this relationship to work and I know I will need to learn to trust him again should he begin to earn it back. For example, the counselor said I need to support him going to meetings, which I do…however in the past he has told me was going to a meeting, only to come home drunk. So I really want him to go to meetings, but when he does I am left wondering if he is really there. How to I get rid of the knot in my stomach during thee situations…how do I navigate these situations?