View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Misguided

The way the meetings were laid out on Friday nights for 2 hours at my church. Our meetings started out with 3 songs for praise & worship then chips and announcements. Then about 45 minutes either being a testimonial or a review of a part of the 12 steps. There would be a 5 or 10 minute break and then groups divided for group discussion for an hour. Men with men and women with women so no one would be uncomfortable in what they discussed. I say discussion but really it was just where people would be able to vent and no cross talk was allowed. I didn't attend those all that often because I already was seeing a therapist once a week in addition to attending the CR.

Working of the 12 steps was actually done separately in a leader's home on a different night of the week. Again, women would be with a only women group and men with only men.

I think by the time I moved away from that city, the program at the church had grown so large, they had to split the men into 2 groups. We had at least 50-100 attendees every week.

Hopefully that will give you a little insight on what to expect. I'm told they are all done the same across the country, so I would assume a night there would be similar to what I went through regardless of where the meetings are held.