Celebrate Recovery program

Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Celebrate Recovery program

Does anyone have any experience with it as the sober family member (me) living with an A (husband)? I would also be happy to hear about any experience you may have as the A going to Celebrate Recovery. Our church has a group starting this week and it would be so convenient for me to go and it sounds like it would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am the alcoholic that went to Celebrate Recovery. I liked the fact that I could bring people with me if I wanted so when I hit major milestones like my year chip, it was exciting for me to share that event with family. My grandmother enjoyed coming with me because I think sometimes she would get something out of it too. I enjoyed the testimonial days a lot. It helped me realize I'm not alone and sobriety is possible. It worked for people that were worse off than I was and those testimonials helped me see it.

From what I understand it is very similar to AA. (I have never attended an AA meeting). I have not done the CR 12 steps personally with a group yet, but it is something on my to do list once the closing on my new house goes through. I have to find out where the local meetings are since I am moving.

Good luck...I hope CR works out for you and your A.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Misguided, thank you for your advice. I am very glad to hear that it helped you. I am sure your grandma was proud to be there with you also!

I don't know if I will ever be able to get my AH to go with me, but I sure can ask, and I can also go myself and maybe set a good example.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The way the meetings were laid out on Friday nights for 2 hours at my church. Our meetings started out with 3 songs for praise & worship then chips and announcements. Then about 45 minutes either being a testimonial or a review of a part of the 12 steps. There would be a 5 or 10 minute break and then groups divided for group discussion for an hour. Men with men and women with women so no one would be uncomfortable in what they discussed. I say discussion but really it was just where people would be able to vent and no cross talk was allowed. I didn't attend those all that often because I already was seeing a therapist once a week in addition to attending the CR.

Working of the 12 steps was actually done separately in a leader's home on a different night of the week. Again, women would be with a only women group and men with only men.

I think by the time I moved away from that city, the program at the church had grown so large, they had to split the men into 2 groups. We had at least 50-100 attendees every week.

Hopefully that will give you a little insight on what to expect. I'm told they are all done the same across the country, so I would assume a night there would be similar to what I went through regardless of where the meetings are held.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, Misguided. Tonight is the meeting. I am looking forward to going though I am also nervous as it's something new. It is scheduled for 2 hours and knowing the way my church is, I am sure they will split the indvidual groups up into women w/women, men w/men, like you mentinoed, which will make me more comfortable also.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

I hope the meeting works for you! Keep us posted.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Loughborough - I have been going to Celebrate Recovery (CR) for almost two years now. It is very much like attending AA, NA or Al-Anon but instead of referencing a "Higher Power", we are Christians and freely use God or Jesus as the one who we give up our struggles to. Otherwise they follow the same 12 Steps. We do have worship music first which I love - it always puts me in a good frame of mind.

Another good thing CR has to offer is that people can come for ANY hurt, habit or hang-up. In my group there are people there for alcohol, drugs, sex addiction, co-dependency issues, food issues depression, anger, and other things. Everyone is accepted, no one judges and every one gets to share in small group without interruption. I have come such a long way since attending CR; I went there for co-dependent behavior, having come to the end of my rope with my alcoholic boyfriend. CR has much to offer. If you choose to attend, I wish you much encouragement and many prayers!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here I am, I just wanted to report in about my CR meeting the other night. I enjoyed it. I did not attend the small groups this week because they had me in a "newcomers meeting," which told about the program, the leaders told about themselves, etc. then they had the "new women" meet with the women's leader and the same for the new men there. They have not started the separate 12-step program yet because they wanted to get his main group up and running first, but they said they hope to start that in about a month. I think I will get a lot out of it. What I really like about it so far (versus the Al-Anon meeting I went to a couple years ago) was that it is all Christian based. I am looking forward to next week's meeting.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Great! Glad you're getting newcomer help there, and that they split off the men and women for parts of it.

Please keep going to both so you can get the alcohol education and ESH at Al-Anon, and your personal spiritual orientation in CR!