View Single Post
Old 10-30-2004, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Cadence57
Barn Goddess

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
For some of us I think, it was the absence of self esteem and self respect that led to alcoholism, not the other way around.
But you're right Cadence, once in the cycle, vicious describes it very well for some of us.
For me, again, it was the other way around. It's when I allowed myself to see what was good about me that I started climbing out of the pit. Not before then.
If I hadn't seen that, and somehow believed that I hadn't eaten away the good man I am rebuilding, I'd still be lying and abusing and blind to all and everything but my addiction and it's needs.

It was enough when I had enough.
An addict friend of mine is fond of saying... "I couldn't wait a day longer for recovery."
Clear as mud eh...
But that's how it was for me.

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the reply. I don't believe my A sees the good inside of himself. He appears to be very confident and self assured, and he talkes a great line of BS, but I think it's a facade... I don't think HE believes in his own goodness - and perhaps that plays a part in why he can not climb out... I doubt I've helped him in that area - I've been pretty blunt with him recently - pointing out all of his flaws and short comings.

<sigh> No matter what I say or what I do, it's wrong...