View Single Post
Old 10-30-2004, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KelKel

Hi Cadence
Unforunately there is no telling when any individual addict will reach that point of giving up and realizing that they do not have a chance in hell of being a normal drinker and that abstinence is the only answer, or for that matter if once in recovery, that they will stay in recovery.
Today I am traveling out of town to go and visit with a good friend who is in the ICU of a hospital. Why...? Alcohol,
the insidious drug that takes our bodies and minds and literally destroys them.
She is in her mid 30's and her liver, kidneys, pancreas and heart are giving up their fight of processing alcohol out of her system.
I am praying very hard that she is ready to admit a problem and give up the booze. Many years ago she kicked a cocaine habit and has never been able to look at her drinking and say that there is a problem there as well.
This is my second close friend to have severe physical problems (life-threatening) with alcohol. The other friend is waiting for a new liver, and unfortunately has been unable to stay sober, so she will probably not end up getting a liver
and will probably die of this disease.
So as you can see the power of addiction is too much for some of us.
It helps keep me sober when I see the devastating affects of this seemingly innocent drug.
Trust your own instincts and act accordingly.