Old 09-28-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lizatola

Using the dog as a reason to keep from drinking?

My dear 15 year old shepherd dog took a turn for the worse the other night. The vet believes she has a brain tumor. AH came home from his Vegas trip yesterday and met with the traveling vet. She gave the dog a bag of fluids as the dog was dehydrated and then gave her some meds for pain. My AH decided we should have the dog put down at home. I am on board with all of this until he tells me that he wants to wait until next Wednesday to put her down. WHAT???

The dog can barely move. She doesn't respond when you pet her, and she just lays there. Sometimes she cries or whimpers. It's so sad and I am ready to put her down TODAY. AH wants to keep her comfortable this weekend, as my son and I will be gone for a tennis tournament that we're departing for today. What I'm thinking is that AH needs the distraction of the dog to keep from drinking or just to give himself something to do to fend off the loneliness. I told AH that I want him to put the dog down Friday(even though ds and I will be gone) and he came back with, "You want the dog killed? Fine, I'll have the dog killed for you then." UGH! He made it sound like I was a murderer looking to shoot an innocent puppy or something.

I got ticked off and told him, "Well, you obviously think you can care for her this weekend but please promise me that you will have her put down if she is in pain or suffers anymore seizures." I also sent him an email at 3 AM when I was the one up with the dog while she cried. I fed the dog by hand, dribbled water in her mouth while everyone else in the house slept. And, I sat there and cried because I am so ready to let her go and I think she's ready to go, as well. The email basically just re-stated my opinion and that I took offense to his comment about 'killing the dog' and how I just want to be merciful to the dog. I probably shouldn't have sent it, but I was tired and it was in the middle of the night and I was in tears. Sigh....