View Single Post
Old 10-28-2004, 03:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Peaches04

Hi Shel...doesn't that ruin a good night! Something as simple as a game, and they even manage to ruin that at times...I'm sorry! I agree with what everyone has said...definately set boundaries. The only comment I would add is - though it is maybe a good idea to discuss the boundaries with your AH when he is sober - you may not know your boundaries now. Or at least, I didn't. I couldn't have been very clear what they were to explain it to him...I just knew "in the moment" when they were crossed. I played the game with myself for a long time when I wouldn't do anything because I would tell myself "I wasn't really clear with him that I don't accept that".. so, I kept putting myself in uncomfortable positions. Now, I realize - if I'm uncomfortable or don't like a behavior...that's my boundary for that day and that situation, and I take the appropriate action for ME.
And I do agree with everyone here - don't drive him to the liquor store anymore...he'll get mad, but that's okay. If he gets mad, go shopping....do something else - be mentally prepared for him to be pissed off, and plan how you will handle that. It's not your fault he lost his license and can't drive - and it's certainly not your responsibility to drive him to get liquor/beer. No unearned guilt for you - tell him that he lost his license, not you... easier said than done, I'm sure - but, it will come to you with time. Hang in there sweetie!