View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hopeworks

Hi Jes17,

Welcome to the forum and congrats of 5 mos of not drinking!

Not drinking is a great start and the most important component to a successful recovery and the path to healing relationships and a potential healthy family home for your child.

Is your partner committed to your marriage and is he willing to grow and change if it meant a happier future?

While alcoholism is beyond awful for the partner no one is perfect and often there are underlying issues that need to be worked out and understood by both parties to improve communication and build the love back to the place it was when you fell in love back in the day!

Alanon for your spouse, AA for you... and this is working the steps, a sponsor and not just meeting attendance which is just the tip of the iceberg!

The action that best helped my family (including my children) was counseling... individual and joint with a GOOD counselor who understands addiction issues.

Pick your counselor like you would pick a brain surgeon... they are not all created equal.

Last... I want to tell you how proud I am of you for looking for answers and willingness to come to a website like this. You can make it... your marriage may not and you only can control what you can control... but YOU can make it!

It will get better if you keep doing the next right thing... let us know how it goes.