Thread: new here, hello
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Red79

Sometimes facing all of this seems so scary, especially thinking anything could be medically very wrong. I mean, thank God I haven't been worse; I see shows like "Intervention," albeit if it's accurate, and see people saying they drink a bottle of vodka a day or something. I've always been more of a beer girl myself, not that it isn't alcoholism. I just think I'm young enough to stop this madness now and not have to drink for twenty more years and wonder where all of the time went.

A lot of my dependency has to do with being lonely, I have realized. Don't get me wrong, I have great friends and family, but I live alone and tend to drink at night out of boredom and because I think it helps me sleep. (Passing out doesn't really count, huh?) My last relationship was plagued with arguments and unrest because we both drank too much, I realize that now. More than anything, I just want peace and health without having to rely on a substance.

Does anyone have any advice about tapering off in the beginning as to avoid withdrawal symptoms? Not that I would have anything as serious as a seizure (I don't think it's to that point), but it does make me feel better that I'm already on an anti-seizure med. I was reading that it might help to cut down during the first week or so just to make it easier. For instance, space out a couple of beers over the night for the first few days until you can cut down to one and then none.

I'm just so ready to do this. Thanks to you all for listening and being supportive.