View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  
IWantFree

[QUOTE=Figgy;3581347]IWF - Great to meet you and somehow reassuring that we are new together... nice not to feel alone when beginning this daunting adventure.

Great to meet you too, and I did have a little sigh of relief when I saw your post today... you're so right it's nice to not be alone.

Originally Posted by Figgy View Post
I think walking and playing with your dog is an excellent move. I am seriously tempted to get a dog now that my daughter is off to University. It would be great exercise and such company. I am feeling quite wobbly on my own after almost 20 years of being a hands on mother. Not fun.
I'm more of a cat person actually (we have one of those too), but my partner wanted a dog. They're a lot of work - ours was a puppy and untrained and it's been quite a learning curve, and I've felt that I've taken most of the responsibility because I work very close to home and I drive so I can get back for walks and vet trips etc more easily. Partner is getting better at doing is fair share though which is great might even learn to drive

If you like the total devotion of dogs go for it - it also helped me to feel responsible for something, especially when he we very little and needed constant attention. Now that he's older, I sometimes find his constant demands for love and affection a little annoying... see, total cat person LOL... but he's lovely and it does get me out, otherwise it would be a darkend room and a bottle for me many times.

Good luck to you... I hope you manage to focus on what you need and stay strong.