Thread: I am a newcomer
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Quinne

I don't think i've ever deliberately gone out with the intention of just watching drunk people. While i've been in environments that certainly lend themselves to being around intoxicated people (ex's gigs, volunteering at a drop-in centre), the thing that really got me was feeling a sense of pity toward these individuals. I realise that's a horrible feeling to have toward another.

Then, in a rounabout way, it would "work" as a scare tactic and i'd get some sort of almost sadistic relief knowing that it wasn't me acting like a drunken idiot on that given occasion. My ex's band's vocalist was a bit of a poster-child for that, but it wasn't hard to see that he was hurting like mad. Now? Particularly at the drop-in centre, I have compassion for these individuals and if they want to talk about what they're going through, then the mutual footing and respect with some of the clients is there

I mentioned it in another thread just a few minutes ago; what was suggested to me is to check my motives before essentially doing anything. What I *do* know is I seldom deliberately put myself in harm's way now and there are so many things I can do with friends inside and outside the fellowship that have zilch to do with alcohol