View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  
mark120910

Originally Posted by Evan3 View Post
My wife gave me a wonderful gift last night when she put her foot down. Not only was it uncharacteristic and brave, but it really put a different spin on my thinking. I have three kids: My son is 11 and I have two twin daughters who are seven. I have been married to my wife since 1994 and I have too much to just throw away. I an retire from the Navy in two years and I will only be 45. Not many people have what I have. I need to focus on my blessings and get down to business. I can't believe it has been a week tomorrow. That does wonders for me. I would feel just blown out if I had drunk that beer last night. Instead I am up making breakfast for my wife and will take my kids off today so she can have some alone time. She gave me a huge bear hug before we went to sleep last night and told me she loved me. Man, that's what matters. Not a damn six pack. I gotta get my priorities straight ASAP. Have a peaceful day everyone. Every day is a new chance to give it all ya got.
Evan
Evan,

I have to say I admire the way you express yourself. Everything you type belies an uncommon combination of something... strength and sensitivity, I think. Whatever it is, I like the way you write.

You are indeed blessed to have a beautiful family and a strong wife who is not afraid to tell it like it is.

Before September 10, I had been alone with my booze for over ten years. I can't decide whether I would prefer to have the day-to-day support of a loving family or spare them the experience. It's both a blessing and a burden, huh? In any case, what your kids learn from you about addiction and sobriety is entirely up to you.

We share the same last-drinking and quitting days. Let's keep it that way!

Take care,

Mark