View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
calblondie

Originally Posted by EnglishGarden View Post
But as someone who once had a little seven year old boy in the house of an alcoholic man, I can tell you from the bottom of my heart that your child will NOT have the backbone and will NOT get over the damage an alcoholic does to his fragile, defenseless psyche.

Please listen to me. I do not usually urge people to take action they are not yet ready to take.

But when children are involved, we here cannot afford to mince words.

Your son is in grave danger.

Live separately from this man, date him if you wish, but AWAY from your son, all dates OUT OF THE HOUSE AND AWAY. You may say to yourself that if the man is drunk, that's when you'll bar the door. But alcoholics say vicious things to people whether apparently drunk or not because they are always in either one of two states: DRUNK or CRAVING. And it takes alcohol 48 hours to completely metabolize out of the body, and I very much doubt if the man ever goes that long without a drink. He is always drunk.

If you want to keep him, then do it away from your child.
English Garden - THANK YOU!!! I am ready to walk away, but your words push me even farther in that direction. The last thing that I want to do is hurt my son, and truly I think he has already seen enough to hurt him.

I do want to give my ABF the benefit of the doubt, BUT I don't want him relapsing and causing any hurt/damage to my son. I will always make the decision to protect my son over giving someone another chance.

Thanks again for your rather honest words - I have taken them to heart.

Karin