View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
kyles

Originally Posted by LoveHappiness View Post
Thank you everyone.

Today I plan on telling my mom (who lives with me) that I have been lying about where my boyfriend has been. I am so afraid that me telling her about this will somehow make her re-live what she went through with my dad, who has been sober from alcohol for 20something years. They're no longer together, but still maintain a friendship. I know that once I tell her, it'll feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders...and I have a feeling she already knows something is up. My boyfriend hasn't in any way told me to lie about this, but I did it because I guess I didn't want to get too many people involved. I also didn't want to upset her. We have a great relationship as a mother and daughter, and I hate keeping things from her.

Today my boyfriend is supposed to get out of inpatient detox and enter a sober living/halfway house situation. I haven't yet heard from him, or the staff regarding details of what will happen today, so I am trying to just breathe, and focus on myself right now. i

I know I have a lot of reading to do, so I am trying to take things one day at a time. Yesterday, I figured out where and when to attend nar-anon. Today is my day to tackle telling my mother about this.
I hope telling her goes well, or at least as well as telling someone this information can. I also lied to my parents about it. A lot of it was because I'm 17 and I knew they'd tell me I couldn't see my bf anymore. There were other reasons too, such as judgement, the feeling of burdening people, etc. I felt terrible telling my parents and friends at first, but in the long run I feel so much better. I'm not keeping this secret all to myself and trying to deal with it alone. It's still awkward discussing this with people I'm close to because they care about me and have strong opinions about what I should do (aka, leave him). I'm sure your mom will be upset/sad just because she doesn't want her daughter to be in a situation like that, but I'm sure you realize that. I think in the end you'll feel much better.