View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MrsKing

Originally Posted by Blue29 View Post
MrsKing, how did u get over the guilt. I feel like i have hit bottom and dont know where to go. He as my family here, my sister and parents live far away. I am so ashamed and disgusted by what I have done.
I got over the guilt by promising to never do it again and by staying sober. The best thing to do is to not focus on the guilt. Guilt is not productive. Do something that will make you feel proud of yourself, good about yourself. Being sober has been the key in me 'forgiving' myself - I know that I am no longer that person I used to be, and so I can move on.

I use AVRT (Addictive Voice Recognition Technique), which has taught me to recognise what are addictive thoughts and what are rational thoughts... it reminds us that we have the power, not our addiction, and when cravings or urges hit, it is not our true wants or desires but that of our addiction, and that we do not have to act upon those thoughts. We are in control of our limbs and can choose whether or not we put alcohol in our bodies.

Read around and see what method fits for you.

The most important thing in any method is that you want to be sober and that you are willing to do everything you can to stay sober.

Wishing you the best.