Thread: Grateful
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SundaysChild

This must be a grateful kind of day. My son is a little over 3 months clean this time around.

He's had a pretty horrible couple of weeks. Both his roommates relapsed, he evicted the one who wouldn't get back on track from the apartment, another friend started cutting himself and was sent to a psychiatric hospital, he was rejected by a girl he was interested in, and developed a medical issue. He also started college full time last week. Lots of triggers - lots of reasons to slip up. He's picked himself up and dusted himself off each time, though.

He is back in town for a doctor's appointment today (he now lives in another state) and just called to ask if I thought it was "okay" for him to stop by and see his high school guidance counselor. She fought for him for all four years...dealing with academics, his depression and anxiety, having him section 12'd for psychiatric help...she was almost as enmeshed as we were, and was broken-hearted when we did the intervention and he went off to rehab 3 weeks before graduation.

The fact that he wants to go back into that building, and say "thanks" to her gives me chills up my spine.

Today, I am grateful.