Grateful

Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grateful

My son (22-heroin) has been in active recovery for 15 months.

It's weird because it doesn't seem like that long ago since he hit bottom and we had "the talk" on my front porch.

He has a great sponsor that he looks up to and even has a few sponsees now.

The 5 months at a sober living environment and not moving back home seemed to have helped a great deal this time.
I miss having him around, but it's near impossible for me not to get into his business when he lives here.

We look forward to his visits. We can discuss things openly and I do my best to "wait for the question" in place of unsolicited advice.

I usually ask "Are you happy? Everything good?" and tell him that if he finds himself stressing about work/GF/$$ etc...that we are here to listen.

Anyways, I know he's always only one bad decision from blowing it all up. He is certainly aware of it.

For now, I am grateful and happy, and wish peace for anyone else with an addict child.

One day at a time.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Originally Posted by BeavsDad View Post
My son (22-heroin) has been in active recovery for 15 months.

It's weird because it doesn't seem like that long ago since he hit bottom and we had "the talk" on my front porch.

He has a great sponsor that he looks up to and even has a few sponsees now.

The 5 months at a sober living environment and not moving back home seemed to have helped a great deal this time.
I miss having him around, but it's near impossible for me not to get into his business when he lives here.

We look forward to his visits. We can discuss things openly and I do my best to "wait for the question" in place of unsolicited advice.

I usually ask "Are you happy? Everything good?" and tell him that if he finds himself stressing about work/GF/$$ etc...that we are here to listen.

Anyways, I know he's always only one bad decision from blowing it all up. He is certainly aware of it.

For now, I am grateful and happy, and wish peace for anyone else with an addict child.

One day at a time.
Hi Beavsdad!

Our 21 year old daughter went from jail to a residential adult rehab 6-28 and is doing very well. 7 mos clean. It's a true pleasure to visit and talk.
I am grateful and happy as well. Thanks for posting your good news!
One day at a time; right on bro.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This must be a grateful kind of day. My son is a little over 3 months clean this time around.

He's had a pretty horrible couple of weeks. Both his roommates relapsed, he evicted the one who wouldn't get back on track from the apartment, another friend started cutting himself and was sent to a psychiatric hospital, he was rejected by a girl he was interested in, and developed a medical issue. He also started college full time last week. Lots of triggers - lots of reasons to slip up. He's picked himself up and dusted himself off each time, though.

He is back in town for a doctor's appointment today (he now lives in another state) and just called to ask if I thought it was "okay" for him to stop by and see his high school guidance counselor. She fought for him for all four years...dealing with academics, his depression and anxiety, having him section 12'd for psychiatric help...she was almost as enmeshed as we were, and was broken-hearted when we did the intervention and he went off to rehab 3 weeks before graduation.

The fact that he wants to go back into that building, and say "thanks" to her gives me chills up my spine.

Today, I am grateful.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

BeavsDad! Feels good doesn't it.....today is a day for me to be grateful as well. Today my 22yr old son has 9 months in recovery. I think he has finally found a sponsor he clicks with and is now secretary of a weekly meeting!

I am very proud of my son for the work he has done as I am sure you are of your son. We should also be patting ourselves on the back too a bit for stepping out of their way so that they can do what they need to do!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, BeavsDad. You give me hope today. Lately I have been feeling very sad that my recovering AD (18-heroin) doesn't contact me or reply to me at all anymore but keeps up with her younger sister who lives here at home...Her 19th birthday is next week, and even though I miss her, I am finding myself so grateful she is alive today, despite my longing to see her and talk to her sober & clear-headed. Thank you for this great post. I am happy for you & sharing it comforted me.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Though my son is not in recovery right now, i am grateful that he at least reached out and tried to turn the corner by turning himself in. I am also grateful that he knows what to do when he is ready, he has resources with the last rehab he went to and he can reach out and get the medical help he needs. I am grateful to God for keeping JJ alive, there is a purpose.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am grateful to my SR friends for keeping hope alive for my family.

So glad to hear stories of recovery! Thank you. (((Hugs)))
Old 09-06-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

my son is with me waiting to go to a year long program that is a few hours away from here. I'm driving him there on Tuesday ... clean for two weeks tomorrow. It has been a good week, we have laughed, prayed, and cried together. I am grateful that God has allowed us this time.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Beavsdad, I am also feeling very grateful. My son (23/heroin) is coming up on 5 months clean in a couple of days. He lives in a sober living environment and I believe this was what made the difference. Like you, I miss my son but thankfully we see him a few times a month. I pray for all the sr members every night that they find peace.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. You are so positive. Here's to continued happiness for you and your family.