Thread: Nothing is fun
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
773niki

Klia - I totally hear you. I'm almost a month sober, again, and I always feel the same way. I have been on/off the wagon for about 2 years now - after almost a decade of daily drinking. (I'm 30, female)

I don't know what it is, but the "drama" and the initial buzz that alcohol gives me made cooking more fun, hell, it even made going to the nail salon more fun. I would drink for a long drive home (I know, bad), before I went to the movies, before I went anywhere to make it "more fun." Eventually though, that buzz stopped being a buzz...and made me tired...so I would drink more in an effort to get that buzz back and then I'd get sloshed, not remember, not have any fun, and just want to die. This usually didn't happen all in one day/sitting, but over time, it did.

I'm really hoping and praying I've experimented with trying to drink enough that my insanity will go away and that I won't try it again because the end result is not even always the same anymore - it gets worse and worse the more I try to make drinking fun again.

I'm bored alot though, don't get me wrong. I am a natural drinker. I love it when it's fun. I miss it, but not as much anymore because I've tried and failed so many times to control it. I've found that reading helps me, alot. I've read books drunk alot in the past, and they were never good because I wouldn't remember what I read. Ha. But, I've read 3 books in the last 4 weeks, I've definitely been keeping up with my apartment alot more, cleaning/cooking/laundry, etc. I've been more productive at work too and my boyfriend and I are definitely not fighting about my drunk ass anymore.

So, as with anything, It's a give and take. Sure, you think back and remember how it was once fun and how maybe your afternoon could be better if you drank a little. But, then, I remember how the next day or teh next week felt and honestly, sitting with a good book is better than that outcome.

I think to my withdrawal days, when I couldn't hold an ice cube down, hands couldn't stop shaking, and you know what, that book is pretty damn good now.

Good luck. I know it's not easy. I'm still trying to live without the drama too. But I think I've made it past a bump that I haven't made it past before...