View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

Originally Posted by FenwayFaithful
I know I need to commit 100 percent of myself to recovery. But life without alcohol seems so scary… I feel like it will isolate me from everyone even more. I feel like it would be impossible to cope with my life sober.
I don’t know how to deal with my emotions or stress and I am SUPER shy, despite how I seem on here, I really get nervous in social situations and drinking helps that so much… but it obviously does more harm than good.
It just feels like a security blanket. It’s hard to give up.
The alternative is not good though is it...? Imagine doing this on a regular basis, accepting that this will be a possible outcome every time you drink. There is a reason I kept my drinking indoors, but that didn't stop me from occasionally getting myself into trouble (sorry, but your post has brought flashbacks to me!).

Alcohol is not going to help you with your shyness or teach you to deal with your emotions or stress. It will seriously hinder any attempts at emotional maturity and cause you no end of problems... it does and will get much worse I'm afraid.

It is really hard and scary to give up drinking but you just have to trust the many people on here who say that it gets better. All those posts from people as the months go by saying how much better everything gets... it actually is true and it can happen for you too. Don't let the fear stop you.