Old 09-02-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
NWGRITS
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by EveningRose View Post
I wonder, both in thinking through my own thoughts in order to post, and in reading responses, if having children isn't often the salvation for those of us who grew up in dysfunction. I myself only saw in my own interactions with my children, as they grew, how very wrong my parents' words and actions were. Had I never had children, it's possible I would have continued to believe their behavior was normal and thus that they were right in their assessments of me.

And like both of you, having children made me more aware of my own behavior and how it was affecting a helpless child. They gave me a great motivation to heal myself and become a better person for their sake.

In yet another way, they have helped me heal because I can see that I have done better than what my parents gave me, and I can take pride that I have accomplished that despite the obstacles, even while I still question myself.
I say all the time that my son saved me. I was headed down a dark and lonely road paved with self-loathing when I got pregnant with him. If I hadn't gotten pregnant, I would have been dead in a ditch somewhere. I could have definitely turned into my mother completely. I finally learned how to care for someone other than myself, and what unconditional love felt like. I still feel tremendous guilt for having post-partum depression after he was born, though. Probably the darkest point in my life post-self-pity binge for those couple of months after turning 21.