View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

Hi William,

I am a recovering addict with a sometimes sober alcoholic boyfriend.

I also suggest you check out the family and friends of alcoholics section of this website. you will meet many people who totally understand what you are going through. A great place for support.

You can't save her. She will stop or not stop but you can't stop her drinking. You can only take care of yourself.

I've learned that lesson from both sides. I desperately wanted my ex husband to save me, fix me, make my life so amazing that I wouldn't need to drink and drug anymore. But he was not able to do that. That was something I had to address with my heart and soul.

The same is true for my boyfriend. Even though I know the hell of addiction and the road of recovery, I can't give it to him. Believe me, I've tried.

As you are already experiencing, no matter how much you love her, try to create a safe haven for her and a loving relationship, alcohol comes first and she puts herself in dangerous situations. That will only get worse as time goes on.

I encourage you to take care of yourself and your own recovery, you will understand what that mean after visiting the family and friends forum. Because people in long term relationships with addicts DO have to recover themselves.

None of us here can ensure that things will get better for those we love, everyone has their own issues. But by working on our own recoveries, we can insure that things get better for us. And that is one more happy productive person in the world! Well worth the effort!