Thread: So Lonely...
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EnglishGarden

God has cleared away all the distractions. Maybe there is a reason for this solitude. Maybe it is meant to heal you in some way.

Do you go to meetings or therapy for codependency and addictions? It will not make sense at all if you work on recovery and then try to escape aloneness by having unrealistic conversations with someone who has a sick brain right now.

What I did when I was all alone in a city for a year and had no friends or family there (and worked from home, so I didn't even have a lunchroom crowd): I found a perfect coffee shop and I bought and borrowed a thick stack of recovery books, therapy books, spiritual books, and I read, for a year. I also went to a meeting somewhere nearly every day. (I had ended a relationship with an addict. I really needed to do some inner work).

But I did have two dogs. And they made an enormous difference in the aloneness. I am wondering: could you perhaps get a kitty? They don't mind being alone while you're away and they are quiet and lovely to sit with. Maybe even two.

You really will be okay. But first you need to smudge your life, and that would be clearing it of needy, self-centered, addicted people who want to use you.

I hope things get better for you really soon. I actually will always treasure all those nights I spent in that coffee shop.