View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Randy32

letting go of alcoholic loved one..stay or go?...tips?

IM a 32 year old guy. stable profesional. ready to meet someone and just settle a bit. Met another guy who had all the same values as I do. Wants to stay away from city / club vibe and settle down, own a house, live a bit simply and just enjoy life. except for one thing. He has a problem maintaining control when he drinks and drins himself into oblivion and makes really bad choices. Usually able to tone it down around me but when he is out with his friends he loses it and some pretty scary shady stuff has happened ( waking up/ passing out in a ditch on the side of the highway, driving intoxicated, extremely poor judgement, missing major life events because of alcohol) It has all been a bit much to handle and I have given him numerous chances to quit drinking. he has been in treatment for drinking but maintains that he can manage himself and continues to drink. he is absolutlely not able to maintain control and after the 5th and final episode of his drinking and becoming wreckless ( i honestly worry for his safety, and I dont want to date someone so irresponsible!) I have ended the relationship. Its pretty sad because I actually connected him on so many other levels and had lots in common. Just wondering how hard it is to support someone like his. he always says he wont drink anymore and then he does and somthing bad happens..

I feel sad to let him go..is there any way this can work? or should I just cut my losses and try and find someone who is compatable but does not have these issues...help!