View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
lillamy

I agree. It's easy to sit on this side (where the grass is actually greener) and tell other people what to do.

I've been on the other side too, though. I fired a counselor who told me "unless your spouse is committed to recovery, your only choice is to tell him you're leaving, and then do it." I could not process that at a time when my every move was dictated by an alcoholic; all I felt was that here was yet another person wanting to tell me what to do.

I regret not leaving sooner than I did. But I also know I left when I was ready to. And up till that point, if I had left, I would have done it without being convinced I had ruled out every other option.

Leaving earlier would have been healthier for my children. Leaving earlier would have been healthier for me. But leaving earlier wasn't possible for me. I live with the guilt of having put my children through years of suffering, but I'm working on forgiving myself in light of the knowledge that I left as soon as I was able to. And it didn't have a thing to do with finances and everything to do with my own recovery process.