View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
GardenMama

I second the EMDR therapy the Outtolunch suggested, as well as talk therapy, to relieve you of the abusive memories. Another thing I learned in talk therapy was the idea of getting distance from a bad thought or feeling or memory. I guess it is kind of like the detachment we speak of here, but related more to letting the memory pass you by without hurting you all over again.

So for instance, say you start to remember an incident that hurt you, instead of feeling it, you think to yourself, "there's that memory again," and you think of it as something that is just floating by you, not landing on you, not sticking. It takes practice and patience, but I have found that it has helped me immensely with anxiety as well as healed me from a past with an abusive exH. It is also recommended that you try to not relive and recount all the painful episodes. Because he is my girls' father, I try to think of a good memory instead, and if I can't do that,which was the case for many years, I think of a serene beautiful place I love to visit, etc.