View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

(((tjp))) - The last time I was locked up (probation violation) my dad could NOT get me out of it, though he tried.

I spent 5-1/2 months in a diversion center where I HAD to get a job (I did) AND pay rent and had to address all the staff as "yes, SIR, Mr. xxx, yes sir!) It was HORRIBLE. I was in one of the two rooms that had 6 beds, had people coming in at all times of the night and I'm a light sleeper. Even when I worked late and had a "sleep pass" (could ignore the 5 a.m. count) I was awake, telling my roomies "GET UP!!!" Lights on, count down and I just did not sleep there.

When I'd been there enough for home passes, dad would pick me up, I'd come home, eat and go to sleep. The guy who was in charge of security was "sarge xxx". He told us.."I don't WANT you to like it here, what I WANT is for you to not every come back here again".

Though I did relapse for a couple of weeks, all that I'd read here (still lurking) and Sarge's voice kept playing through my mind.

Though I am now on an anti-d, almost 5-1/2 years into recovery, I have to say. That experience taught me a LOT and they did treat those who had mental and physical issues. I walked a mile to the bus station, took 2 busses and a train to get to work (2-1/2 hours).

I was hospitalized, at one time, for an MRSA infection. Notified the CO on duty. I didn't call my counselor until 2 days later. She said "do you know you were supposed to be calling me every 30 minutes?" I told her "do you know I've been on morphine and didn't give a shytt? Call the hospital, they will tell you I'm here".

Being there was where I needed to be, as much as I hated it. Even though I relapsed almost a year later, the thoughts of ending up back there helped lead me to recovery.

I guess what I am saying is I needed every single lock-up to realize the life I'd been leading just wasn't worth it. I pray your son comes to the same realization. AND I'm very grateful that no one bailed me out and I had to go through what I did. It took a while to get to that point (I threatened to kill myself before I even GOT to the diversion center). It was BS, I had no intent on carrying my threats out. It was manipulation, and now I can see that.

Mega hugs and prayers,

Amy