View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Anaya

[QUOTE=EnglishGarden;3548226 "I could not cure my son's major depression, but I could and did spend thousands of dollars on medical treatment that did make him well. Major Depression cripples the sufferer, and family intervention is necessary. I know my experience is not a parallel to yours, as yours is complicated by your son's addictive disease. But I just needed to say that if your son indeed is suffering with major depression, he should receive treatment for that."[/QUOTE]

I, too, will say that my experience is not a parallel to tjp's but would like to share that during 8 months of treatment (inpatient dual diagnosis facility with discharge to outpatient partial program, along with weekly meetings with probation officer and parents [he was a minor at that time]), seeking mental health diagnosis and treatment was put on the back burner; we were told first comes substance abuse treatment then once free and clear to seek mental health treatment. If the situation became acute, I am sure they would have acted accordingly.

Prior to that 8-month stay, he had had mental health treatment and had been 302'd one time for suicidal ideation; though, mental health diagnosis was unclear (he was using then, also).