Thread: Car Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Anaya

Originally Posted by Scrapbooker View Post
My plan is to have all car keys in my bedroom before I go to bed and reset the trip meter when I'm done driving for the day. Any other suggestions? Also, since he has not been sober any time he has lived on his own before I'd like to ask for his house key back and change the garage door combo when he leaves and just say for my recovery, til he has lived sober on his own 6 months, I need it that way. Especially since my husband works nights sometimes, I'd feel better. I told him again last night we know he's capable of making good choices, has had 2 rehabs but either way, not to ask us to live at home again.

Do those boundaries seem reasonable?
Those seem pretty reasonable to me. When my son's at home, hubby and I (still) lock keys in our bedroom or carry them on our person, lock our bedroom door, too, and I keep an eye on my purse ... even though it's been a long time since my son has sneaked out and taken his party friends joyriding in my car in the middle of the night and also a long time since he has taken anything from us. Rebuilding trust has been a hard one here.

About the house key - he might have one made before returning to you? Back when my son was stealing my car, he had had a car key made, we found out, and, so, I put a "club" on the steering wheel and hid the keys to that, too.

Good luck. I hope you'll have some peace of mind and relax a bit when he moves out in September.