Thread: Car Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Scrapbooker

Car Questions

Good morning. For anyone who does not know my story, I have an AS who is 22, DOC is opiates, for at least 5 years, progressing from alcohol, marijuana, Adderoll abuse to opiates. AS was arrested twice college last year, once in Oct, once in Dec. Not knowing what we know now, we agreed to have him in our home since mid-December with out-patient treatment til March and working a program attending NA/AA meetings and working with a sponsor.

The last 4 or 5 weeks, I have noticed I need to remind him that attending meetings and working with a sponsor IS a condition of staying with us until Sept 1, when he moves into an apartment with his girlfriend and another guy that he signed a lease for last Oct. Says he is going to meetings and meeting with his sponsor. Did mention that his sponsor is only able to meet every other week lately.

Question is: the last 2 weeks or so, I have noticed that my gas mileage is way lower than it was. My car smelled like fast food one morning last week, thought that was strange but brushed it off. Today, I get in and the rear view mirros are way off. Can't belive I would have not noticed that since last time my husband drove my car. AS was leaving at night during early college and high school days. I have had a feeling he may be again lately and now I think he's using my car.

My plan is to have all car keys in my bedroom before I go to bed and reset the trip meter when I'm done driving for the day. Any other suggestions? Also, since he has not been sober any time he has lived on his own before I'd like to ask for his house key back and change the garage door combo when he leaves and just say for my recovery, til he has lived sober on his own 6 months, I need it that way. Especially since my husband works nights sometimes, I'd feel better. I told him again last night we know he's capable of making good choices, has had 2 rehabs but either way, not to ask us to live at home again.

Do those boundaries seem reasonable?