Old 08-23-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Good for you Fitz.

In AA meetings, you'll hear a lot of talk about humility, willingness, and trust. Three qualities most average alkies are short on when they're first sobering up. I know I sure was.

Trusting a new experience (like talking at a meeting), trusting the ppl there to not jump all over you, being humble enough to pocket your pride/ego and go for it......those are some of the most important building blocks (IMO) for recovery from alcoholism.

It's really cool when we try something new - especially something we don't WANT to do but go ahead and do it anyway......and something unexpected and special comes out of it. For me, it's those little bread crumbs popping up in life that help motivate me and keep me moving forward.

5yrs of doing this stuff and I can tell ya, it keeps on coming IF we keep on working. Sooner or later, talking at meetings will be no big deal but the challenge will be going up to new ppl who show up, saying hi, and trying to be of service to them. From there, it could be doing open talks.....or taking phone calls at odd hours from ppl you don't feel like talking to.

I think we're continually challenged to do more and more......and most of it we won't feel like doing at the time. BUT.......if we do it, we continue to grow - and that growth almost always feels wonderful (albeit, after the fact.).