Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Went To A Meeting Today And Shared, Think Folks Were Freaked I Had A Voice

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not good at AA. Nervous around people, not very step sequential but I felt after the accident yesterday (reference old posts). Walked to the meeting, didn't trust the truck, and somewhere along the time I raised my hand and just talked. Thought I was going to throw up. But I did it. after the meeting I was putting chairs away and this guy came up and said he was a body man, let's look at that truck. So I guess its my twisted way of saying its not so much the steps as the steps someone will take.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is fantastic, I understand the fear of sharing. And, look what happened as a result!
No coincidence.
Great post Fitz x
Old 08-23-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Amazing what comes along when we let others know we are human, and no stronger than they may feel when of service.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey ...thats excellent

Jim
Old 08-23-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

WAY TO GO FITZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep it up, you will keep surprising yourself!!

Glad you finally spoke.

Love and hugs,
Old 08-23-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So he came over and said "Drunk Dent" And did some magical things I don't understand and braced the bumper and checked the allignment. I asked him to be my sponsor, he said he fixed trucks not people, I liked that I think he's my sponsor, I need realignment.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
Not good at AA. Nervous around people, not very step sequential but I felt after the accident yesterday (reference old posts). Walked to the meeting, didn't trust the truck, and somewhere along the time I raised my hand and just talked. Thought I was going to throw up. But I did it. after the meeting I was putting chairs away and this guy came up and said he was a body man, let's look at that truck. So I guess its my twisted way of saying its not so much the steps as the steps someone will take.
The first few times I shared was like vomiting my emotions and man-everyone spoke directly to me and gave me answers-they totally understood me. I had people giving up on me and they were like, you are in the right place. These people have watched me grow and now I try to share from my experience, strength and hope...Today we had a great meeting and they were glad to hear from me today-some said, it was a way to remind them what it was like at 95 days sober...Keep going, you will see good results..
Old 08-23-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you Fitz...It gets easier every time you share!
Old 08-23-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Good for you Fitz.

In AA meetings, you'll hear a lot of talk about humility, willingness, and trust. Three qualities most average alkies are short on when they're first sobering up. I know I sure was.

Trusting a new experience (like talking at a meeting), trusting the ppl there to not jump all over you, being humble enough to pocket your pride/ego and go for it......those are some of the most important building blocks (IMO) for recovery from alcoholism.

It's really cool when we try something new - especially something we don't WANT to do but go ahead and do it anyway......and something unexpected and special comes out of it. For me, it's those little bread crumbs popping up in life that help motivate me and keep me moving forward.

5yrs of doing this stuff and I can tell ya, it keeps on coming IF we keep on working. Sooner or later, talking at meetings will be no big deal but the challenge will be going up to new ppl who show up, saying hi, and trying to be of service to them. From there, it could be doing open talks.....or taking phone calls at odd hours from ppl you don't feel like talking to.

I think we're continually challenged to do more and more......and most of it we won't feel like doing at the time. BUT.......if we do it, we continue to grow - and that growth almost always feels wonderful (albeit, after the fact.).