Thread: What next.....
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mracoa

It's difficult to watch someone you love go through such struggles. If she is making overatures that she want's to stop drinking, that's at least a glimmer of a possiblity of hope. But prepare yourself for a long road.

When my dad was drinking and taking drugs, he started proffessing that he wanted to quit on several occasions. I feel that his 'false starts' with rehab were not very sincere attempts. I think he feared my brother and I going no contact, and he feared losing his job. I don't think he really wanted to stop. So, of course those attempts are not going to work. The addict has to have a true desire to stop. So, I dont' think a forced rehab could be successful (if such a thing is even legal).

It was nearly 15 years later before he checked himself in at a 60 day in-patient rehab and actually cleaned up. I was no contact with him for a few years before he went into the in patient program. During rehab he learned the 12 steps and after he was out he reached out to apologize. He still isn't a 'great' dad. But he is tolerable now. I just take him in small doses.