View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FenwayFaithful

" I need to get sober but I can't"

Actually you need to get sober but you WON'T!

Big difference between CAN'T and WON'T.

You very much COULD get sober if you made the choice to do so.

You're using drinking, as you always have, to cope with your life, to deal with your feelings and because you have an addiction to alcohol

One that has caused you problems since childhood. I assume if many of your friends are already in the program you have already seen first hand what alcohol does to lives.

It makes lit lie to the people you love, destroys relationships, opportunities and lives.

You are 28 years old now. You're an adult. I'm SURE you have responsibilities.

It's about time you make the choice to get sober. It's about time you stop telling yourself you can't and start taking it one day at a time.

I keep screwing up lately. Getting sober and then blowing it once night and going on a bender. All it takes it one.

You are not a kid anymore. You are wasting your life away by allowing drinking to control you.

Get in the program, get in therapy, learn how to cope with life without picking up the bottle.

Nothing will change for you OR for me until we do.

Our stories sound similar although where I'm from it's A LOT of drugs but drinking is how it ALWAYS starts.

My EXABF is your age. He's sitting his ass in jail for the next 5 years. He used, and he committed crimes but it all started with drinking. And he literally broke my heart, broke his Mother's heart, ruined his life, lost his freedom... that's not what you want is it?

Because if you keep going down this path that where you'll end up.

Welcome to SR, coming here is a good first step. Now stop lying to the people in your life. Be honest and get the help you need. No one can help you but you.

I truly wish you the best of luck.