Thread: No withdrawl ??
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 06:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Parky-uk

Hi Hockey, im Dean a recovering alcoholic.

Im happy to hear that your doing well now and you escaped withdrawl. Like your doctor says, everyone is different. When he says "you may experience symptoms later down the line" though, do please take him seriously. It probably won't come as a gut-wrenching feeling as its far more cunning than that. I don't want to scare you as your doing so well. Keep it up!

Originally Posted by Jerry K
Like you, difficulty sleeping has been issue since I have been sober, now 10+months. As I drank heavily in the evening, it obviously put me sleep rather fast. Overtime, it has become easier to go to sleep. I still awake in the middle of the night (bathroom call) whereas before I slept right through. I think this is just because I no longer pass-out with booze and now feel the sensations.

One thing that really helped me in the beginning to go to sleep was to mentally review the day in detail and then plan the next day. Maybe a boring life, but this generally, then and now, still puts me to sleep.
Jerry, I can really identify with this. Im going on for 3 months sober now and still dont sleep well. IfI do get ot sleep at a reasonable time then, like yourself and Hockey, I tend to be up around 3-4am. More often though I find I cannot sleep due to the "sensations" as you say, physically, I can feel the bedclothes on top of me as if they are tickling me, mentally my thoughts run wild.

Like you say, we were so used to passing-out from booze that our bodies don't know whats hit them.

Its worrying though that you are on month 10 and you still feel this way. Im not sure how long I can take it. I value my sleep and need 8 hours per night. Lately I am falling asleep around dawn so by the time I wake the day is half gone This makes me mad as I want to do so much with the new life I have.

I have tried all manner of both herbal and non-nerbal remedies from chemist shops but they only seem to make it worse. The only things that help are as you say, going over the events of the day and planning the next one.... this is what I try to do. The other thing that helps is the sun-rise which creeps into my bedroom and the birds start to sing, its the security and promise of a new day. It just annoys me that I waste half of it

Anyway, sorry Hockey, I didn't mean to hijack your thread but what Jerry said really struck a cord with me as not sleeping is the only problem I have in life now! That can't be a bad thing.

Hang in there Hockey, its a great life!
Dean