Notices

No withdrawl ??

Old 10-20-2004, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No withdrawl ??

This is Day 4 with out drinking.. I usally drink 4 to 5 days a week sometimes up to 10+ beers each time.. Well I have not had any symptoms of withdrawls except for a some nightmareish dreams.. Since it is day 4 is it safe to say I will not have any Physical sysmptoms just the mental ones '?? Any help would be great !

Hockey
Old 10-20-2004, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just can relate my experience, had the sweats for 2 days my last time through it and day 3 no problems but the mental fog and no sleep. Cannot say if your out of the woods or not but in my experience day 3 was the break for me... GOOD JOB< WISH ME LUCK ..........
Old 10-20-2004, 06:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the fast post. Good luck to you and to me. I am going one day at a time. I will start going to meeting Tomorrow night as tonight I will be so busy working I wont have time.

Hockey
Old 10-20-2004, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

I think you won't be experiancing any physical symptoms except maybe sleeplessness. I drank like you and didn't have anything but insomnia and mental cravings... lucky aren't we?
Old 10-20-2004, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Yep, it sounds like you're well on your way to physical recovery. Good luck on your meeting. Sobriety is well worth all the hard work.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Jockey,
Most the time, we tend to feel better physically first and relatively fast. But that's only the first half of the first step. All we've done is not drink. The other 11 1/2 steps are the meat of the program. Spiritual and mental health takes a little longer and for me at least, was a little harder.

Keep working and keep coming back.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes I know the Spirtual and mental part will take alot longer. I was just expecting the worst in terms of the physical side of the house.. In fact that was biggest worry. This is now day Five tonight is my first meeting. I thank this site all though I dont post I do read every post and it helps me out alot. Thank you and keep up the rebuilding of our lives brick by brick.

Hockey
Old 10-21-2004, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I will add one thing i find odd though I wake up at 3 am on the dot each night since I have not been drinking. I think that was the time my bladder most of gotten full when I did drink and I am just use to waking up. But i wake up and I mean wide awake read some then fall back a sleep..

Hockey
Old 10-21-2004, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hockey, I hope you let a Dr. check you over. I'm glad I did. Keep going to meetings and ask for a sponser. Way to go, those first days are tough. I have had problems with sleep but, it's getting better now at day 28. I slept more when I drank but, I didn't wake up feeling as rested as I do now. Keep it up Hockey, you're doing good! -Phil
Old 10-21-2004, 08:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was amazed and so was my doctor that I had no physical withdrawal issues. My consumption averaged 1.75 liters of scotch every three days.

Like you, difficulty sleeping has been issue since I have been sober, now 10+months. As I drank heavily in the evening, it obviously put me sleep rather fast. Overtime, it has become easier to go to sleep. I still awake in the middle of the night (bathroom call) whereas before I slept right through. I think this is just because I no longer pass-out with booze and now feel the sensations.

One thing that really helped me in the beginning to go to sleep was to mentally review the day in detail and then plan the next day. Maybe a boring life, but this generally, then and now, still puts me to sleep.

Keep up the good work. Taking in one day at a time, starts to add up really fast. Hey 300+ days now.

Just remember to stay involved each and every day. Recovery is now a fact of life and will be part each day forward if you desire to keep your sobriety.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Highlife yeah I went to the Dr's before I quit and had a check up this am he says he is suprised but he said everyone is diffrent he also said that does not mean I cant still have some symptoms later down the road. almost noon have to get going to my first meeting.

Hockey
Yes I love hockey and miss it dearly... End the lock out !

Old 10-22-2004, 05:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 6 and I can finally say I slept with out waking up for once last night. My first meeting went good was kind of odd I am not a person who likes to be in big groups will take time to get use to

Hockey
Old 10-22-2004, 06:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Chy

I'm glad your doing well! Keep going, it will get easier. I was very anti-social and your right it takes time.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Hockey, im Dean a recovering alcoholic.

Im happy to hear that your doing well now and you escaped withdrawl. Like your doctor says, everyone is different. When he says "you may experience symptoms later down the line" though, do please take him seriously. It probably won't come as a gut-wrenching feeling as its far more cunning than that. I don't want to scare you as your doing so well. Keep it up!

Originally Posted by Jerry K
Like you, difficulty sleeping has been issue since I have been sober, now 10+months. As I drank heavily in the evening, it obviously put me sleep rather fast. Overtime, it has become easier to go to sleep. I still awake in the middle of the night (bathroom call) whereas before I slept right through. I think this is just because I no longer pass-out with booze and now feel the sensations.

One thing that really helped me in the beginning to go to sleep was to mentally review the day in detail and then plan the next day. Maybe a boring life, but this generally, then and now, still puts me to sleep.
Jerry, I can really identify with this. Im going on for 3 months sober now and still dont sleep well. IfI do get ot sleep at a reasonable time then, like yourself and Hockey, I tend to be up around 3-4am. More often though I find I cannot sleep due to the "sensations" as you say, physically, I can feel the bedclothes on top of me as if they are tickling me, mentally my thoughts run wild.

Like you say, we were so used to passing-out from booze that our bodies don't know whats hit them.

Its worrying though that you are on month 10 and you still feel this way. Im not sure how long I can take it. I value my sleep and need 8 hours per night. Lately I am falling asleep around dawn so by the time I wake the day is half gone This makes me mad as I want to do so much with the new life I have.

I have tried all manner of both herbal and non-nerbal remedies from chemist shops but they only seem to make it worse. The only things that help are as you say, going over the events of the day and planning the next one.... this is what I try to do. The other thing that helps is the sun-rise which creeps into my bedroom and the birds start to sing, its the security and promise of a new day. It just annoys me that I waste half of it

Anyway, sorry Hockey, I didn't mean to hijack your thread but what Jerry said really struck a cord with me as not sleeping is the only problem I have in life now! That can't be a bad thing.

Hang in there Hockey, its a great life!
Dean