Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jfanagle
Another Day in Paradise

AA was the support that I needed to deal with a problem that I had long been aware of. I did not like AA at the beginning and over the years I have been very grateful for the support and introspection that attending meetings and having a sponsor and really taking the steps gave me.

I attend meetings sporadically when I know I need to tune up my life and my thinking. I practice the precepts of AA in my life, but by no means am I "addicted" to meetings for meetings sake. I know many long term sober members of AA who I respect and lean on when I need a "second opinion" just as I do with peers in business and in my personal life with close friends.

It has been quite awhile since I had a drink and more importantly since I thought alcohol would make anything in my life better. AA like anything else is not THE answer for me, but it is one of them. I can only speak to how this has worked for me and is not intended as a recommendation to others.

I hope my experience will help you in making your decision. Best of luck regardless of which path you choose. I am glad you are confronting your issue that was the hardest part of sobriety for me.

Good luck,
Jon